Wood Elves - Woody Seven
Eleven Attack Chariot
Part Seven: The Vanguard Swift & Deadly
Hello everyone, many thanks for joining me again!
| Front view of the finished Attack Chariot |
When I wrapped up Part Six, I mentioned that I wasn't quite done with the Wood Elves just yet and that there were still a couple of key units calling out to me from the from the annals of time. I couldn't resist the deep recesses of my memory so here we are; I’ve finally finished my Wood Elf Attack Chariot!
| Chariots ready to sweep down the enemy flank |
I am such a fan of Jes Goodwin’s incredible sculpting that I’ve always wanted one of these in the collection for a while now. While my custom Royal Chariots of the Swan filled in nicely as a proxy chariots, I always wanted a dedicated Attack Chariot, I feel it really adds that extra bit of aggressive bite and fast moving threat to the army's vanguard not to mention aesthetically a great centre piece to the Army. Model for model, this has been one of the most enjoyable single-piece projects I’ve tackled for the force so far.
| Crew detail showing the hand-painted banner and dynamic positioning |
Conversion & Assembly
For the build, I wanted to ensure it blended seamlessly alongside the rest of the army's aesthetic. I used a combination of classic Citadel bits alongside just a few kit bashed elements, such as the banner, to give the chariot a sleek, light, yet deadly feel. The majority of the model was purchased online, yet another model that broke my monthly budget but seeing as its the last big expenditure for this army, I can live with it! Though I can totally sympathise with others who feel things are getting out of hand on the cost front.
| Eleven Attack Chariot |
This is such an iconic model from the 1980s and I am sure most of you will be familiar with it, I have always loved how the crews have been posed dynamically as if travelling through the glades at high speed, readying bows and spears. However such iconic models have always been painted before to such great standards just getting mine into the right ball park can be daunting.
| Before: Basic dry brush of browns |
As with the rest of the force, the base is heavily decorated with forest scatter, a few hand-sculpted mushrooms, tufts, and vibrant woodland flowers to match the rest of the regiment bases and keep that lush, alive table-top presence.
| After: Base with foliage for the glade look |
Painting the Chariot
I stuck strictly to the painting recipe established throughout the rest of the army project to maintain full visual consistency across the ranks:
Undercoat: Neutral grey base with a smooth white zenithal spray from above.
Base Colours: Blocked in using very thin, translucent layers of Vallejo Japanese Uniform (#117), Olive Green (#082), and Red Leather (#136) so the zenithal shading beneath still does some of the heavy lifting.
Crew & Skin: Basic Skin Tone (#017) for the elves, while the hair details were tinted using thin contrast washes Hardened Leather from Army Painter and GW Aggaros Dunes.
Wide Angle: Chariots Attack |
Highlights: Glaze medium mixed into progressively lighter tones up to Lime Green (#077) on the robes and Lemon Yellow (#011) on the trim accents, other glaze colours include: Light Flesh (#006) Deep Sky Blue (#066), Scarlet (#26).
Chariot & Horses: Off-White (#004) and Ivory (#005) were used in lots of layers for the horses and chariot itself, with the horses I have tried lots of little thin strokes to try and build the impression of hair.
| Rear view of Chariot |
Banner: Again using some Japanese calligraphy paper to trace a design using Mike McVey's original concepts but adding my own twist for the banner which is attached with PVA and allowed to set. The same Lime Green (#077) and Scarlet (#26) and tooth design were used, the red and tooth design are for command that runs throughout the army, Green is the main army colour. This time the Off-White (#004) moves to the wing as a symbol rather than having provenance in the background.
On the Tabletop
Unit Card designed for Warhammer: The Old World to be added here when I complete it, this one is a template and not yet complete.
Above is the custom unit card designed for Warhammer: The Old World. It gives the army that crucial high-speed impact punch, perfectly suited for disrupting enemy lines or hunting down isolated war machines on the flanks. I have tried to stay true to the original fluff and rules below.
When winter frost glistens like crushed diamonds upon ancient boughs, Prince Iolair drives his great chariot deep through the woods. Beside him stand Aesllanan, who sees through the sharp eyes of high-flying hawks, and swift Fildrigar, whose arrows never miss.
Guiding their noble steeds is Eponandilas, who speaks to horses through soft whispers of the spirit. The four steeds run as one, scythed wheels humming like wind through the canopy; wherever intruders trespass, the chariot will sweep down like a sudden tempest, striking swift and silent!
| MD4 Elven Attack Chariot (box back) |
I’m really thrilled with how this piece turned out and how naturally it fits beside the rest of the army. Next up on the wishlist might finally be that Eagle Rider, but for now, I’m going to sit back and enjoy seeing this beast fully painted on the table!
As always, let me know what you think in the comments below, and happy hobbying!
References:
https://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

That is properly well done.
ReplyDeleteFrom the bases with the handmade mushrooms to the banner and the finished model.
The bases just yell Elf.
Even the photo staging is excellent.
It appears you also bulk up trees with extra flock?
They can be quite meh otherwise?
Great work sir, they would be terrible to behold.
I recently found out about how chariots work in ToW compared to WFB 3rd edition.
They may actually be playable in ToW.
:D
Hello Mike,
DeleteMany thanks for the support, I like the bases too I have gone high fantasy on purpose.
Yeh the trees were something someone suggested and I gave it a go. I think they actually look best if you knock a lot in of it off after (this is happening naturally anyway). But eitherway it definitely knocks out the flat green issue.
What do you think of the ToW rules? I seem to have gotten myself in a twist trying to translate old rules into ToW….
I know very very little.
DeleteI don't own them but some local gamers do and every now and then I message them about something or query a post of theirs.
One chap shared his Tomb Kings chariot and knowing how clunky 3rd edition is with chariots I asked how ToW deals with them.
Hence knowing they are better in ToW.